Family Group Sheet

Sunday, July 10, 2011

I'm Back!!!

Wow, it has been two months since I posted anything. It is not because I haven't been busy. I have been doing research on John's (Ole Johan) family. Akron, Ohio has some awesome websites and I am so grateful for all the information I have found! I have found about 25 obituaries and through the information listed, I have been able to construct families for John and Caroline's children. I had almost no information and now I have pretty good family group sheets. I was able to write a couple of letters and I connected with a new cousin--M.R. Ole and Marie are also her g-g-grandparents. She has filled in some of the gaps I have. It has been wonderful making contact with yet another cousin.

The Akron, Ohio public library has 2 databases with the obituaries from the local newspaper, The Akron Beacon Journal. One database is the index for ALL published obituaries from 1841-1939 and the other is the index for years 1937-2010. I was then able to go to the Newspaper Archives using my Pima County Library card and get the actual obits from 1984 until present. The ones before 1984 cost $.05 from the library!!!!! There was a $1.00 handling fee, so for $1.50 I got the digital obits for TEN people!!!!!! Amazing.
I will be posting some of them.

I also was able to connect with another cousin, M.G.  Her g-grandmother was Anne Mathea. I got some wonderful histories and more pictures to post for Anne Mathea. M.G. and I have spent lots of time on the phone trying to decide what we each have and how we can share it on this blog.

I am grateful for these two sweet ladies and the other new cousins I have connected with during my research. I am not sure how to calculate the true relationship with M.R. and M.G. My PAF (Personal Ancestral File) database shows relationships with others but it stops before it gets to them. It shows that Ole and Marie are our 2nd Great Grandparents. The 3 of us follow 3 different children of Ole and Marie. Those children become our Great Grand Aunt or Uncle. The next generation is our grandparent and they become our 1st cousin 2 times removed. I then click on our parent and it gives no relationship. I never have understood this "cousin ? times removed". I am very satisfied and happy to call them "COUSIN"!

No comments:

Post a Comment